Meet the Trainers
- BSc. Real Estate, Valuation and Management, University of the West of England, Bristol
- MSc. Sustainable Development, Dublin institute of Technology, Bolton Street, Dublin
- Diploma in Rural Development, UCD
- Graduate Diploma Food Marketing, Co-operatives and Rural Development, UCC
Nuala O’Connell is a community development worker with considerable experience in Ireland and abroad. Having gained a BSc at UCC, Nuala worked for a number of years in agricultural research with a pharmaceutical company in the UK, linking with oilseed crop growers in UK, Europe, New Zealand and US. Following almost ten year’s work based at Writtle College in the UK during which she completed an MSc, Nuala worked in West Africa where she combined agricultural research with community development work, linking with farmers, the Ghanaian Ministry of Food and Agriculture and National Research Institute in Kent to develop tools to improve farming and community conditions for rural dwellers over a two year period.
On returning to Ireland in 2001, Nuala worked with Blackwater Resource Development as a Community Development Officer working mainly on the LEADER programme facilitating communities to develop plans and make applications for funding. Following this, Nuala took up a role Community Development Support Officer with South and Mid-West Community Development Support Agency, providing training and support to voluntary management committee members on issues such as governance, employment, procedures and protocols with Community Development Projects and Family Resource Centres throughout Cork City and County.
In 2008, Nuala joined SECAD and has worked as a Development Officer in a number of areas, primarily supporting local community groups in South, East and West Cork in the development of plans, funding of projects, development and delivery of Social Inclusion initiatives and rolling out training programmes.
- Experienced Career Coach /Trainer and Community Development Worker
- Background in Training, Recruitment/HR
- Has supported Start-ups, as well as business closure & Transfer of Undertaking in Ireland & UK.
- Worked in Industry, Self-Enterprise, Recruitment, IT, Community.
- Provided training & employment skills coaching privately and on behalf of other government bodies.
- Highly experienced in One to One and Group work.
- Personable with an ability to provide professional tailored supports to the individual.
- With a genuine interest in empowering and supporting clients to progress.
- Strong reputation with clients and social partners.
- Mottos “Do your best every day and every day your best is different” & “There is always something to learn & someone to learn from”.
- MA Work and Organisational Behaviour, UCC
- Career Coaching Certification, Positive Success Group
- HDip Coaching & Coaching Psychology, UCC
- Training & Development Special Purpose Award Level 6
- Strengths Profile Practitioner training
- EQ-i2.0 (Emotional Quotient Inventory) Practitioner Training
- Worked in national and international environments.
- Has been employee and a self-employed consultant in start-up and multi-national organisations.
- Worked in a variety of sectors including Energy, Manufacturing, Disability and Community Development.
- Margaret’s academic qualifications include a BA, an MBA and a Post Graduate Diploma in Mediation and Conflict Management.
- BSc in Ecology and Post Graduate degree in Zoology.
- Extensive experience leading nature walks, talks and children’s educational events.
- Trained in the identification and monitoring of various animal and plant species.
- Science communicator with experience presenting at international conferences.
- Post Grad Higher Diploma in Coaching Psychology, University College Cork
- Masters (MSc) in Personal and Management Coaching, University College Cork
- Conflict Resolution and Mediation Certificate Level 8, Griffith College, Cork
- QQI Train the Trainer Level 7
- ACT (Acceptance and Commitment) Therapist
- LIFT (Leading Irelands Future Together) Facilitator
- Worked in recruitment in the pharma industry for over 5 years, carried out internal and external recruitment process, which included reviewing incoming CV’s, conducting interviews, and onboarding of newly appointed staff
- Worked in Cork Training Centre as a Trainer on the Life Science and Quality Assurances courses, 2 years
- Currently working with SECAD over 7 years, as an Employment Support officer. This includes working with unemployed community members and supporting them into employment, education or self employment.
- Currently co-ordinating SECAD’s Women’s Rural Entrepreneurial Network ( WREN) -working with women who are interested in setting up their own business as well as people who are already in business to move forward with growth and sustainability.
- Degree in Training and Education UCG
- Cert in Youth and Community work UCC
- Cert as an Information Provider – Citizens Information Service
- Masters in Personal and Management Coaching UCC
- Higher Cert in Mental Health in the Community UCC